Ramblings of a clueless American abroad

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hong Kong, Day 2-7

I'm back from my trip and more or less recovered from the jetlag and illnesses I brought back, so it's time to catch up on those blog posts! As I said, most of my time in Hong Kong was spent at a scientific conference, so my sight-seeing was kept to a minimum. The conference was held at HKUST, which is unfortunately far from the downtown area of HK but has some really great views. This was the view from my bedroom, for example:


On Tuesday a group of us managed to hop down to the nearby village of Sai Kung for some amazing seafood. It's a nice little village on the water:


We went to a restaurant where you choose your own fish and shellfish to eat from a variety of tanks:


We had an amazing feast of of fish, clams, abalone, prawns, and more:


A few days later I took a solo trip into the city to get lunch at the cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant in the world, Tim Ho Wan. Despite hearing stories about waiting hours to be seated, I was seated and served nearly immediately. The signature dish at this dim sum restaurant is cha siu bao, or BBQ pork buns. These really are incredible- they're slightly crunchy on the outside and filled with delicious, sweet BBQ pork:

 
The incredible thing about this restaurant (besides the amazing food) is how cheap it is. I enjoyed a very filling meal with a variety of dishes for only $10:


After the conference wrapped up in the evening, a bunch of us went back downtown to walk around the Temple Street night market. Though I didn't do much shopping, I did grab some yummy snacks and had a great time seeing the city at night. Afterwards we walked down to the harbour and went up to a bar on the 30th floor of a building overlooking the water. Pictures don't really do it justice, but it really was a spectacular view of the Hong Kong skyline at night.


Unfortunately the drink prices were crazy high and I had to be up early for my flight to Taipei, so we hopped in some taxis back to the university and called it a night. I have lots to say and show from my weekend in Taipei, so look for more posts in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment