Ramblings of a clueless American abroad

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Vienna

As mentioned, the posts are a little out of order. This one is about Vienna, which we stopped in between Budapest and Prague.

We awoke bright and early to board a train from Budapest to Vienna, Austria. Navigating the whole process was actually quite straight-forward, and in a few hours we found ourselves in the center of Vienna. St. Stephen's Cathedral dominates this area, which is mostly pedestrian only. I don't have pictures that capture how epically pretty the church is, but here's a couple:



The surrounding area is full of lots of tiny streets like this:


We only had a few hours, so we quickly set off to find some lunch. We found a place that claimed to have the most famous schnitzel in Vienna, so we decided to get some there. It was huge and delicious:


I even had water from the tap with my meal- Vienna is very proud of their totally pure drinking water. I must say, it is probably the most pure tap water I've ever tasted. There are little drinking fountains throughout the area where people line up to drink the tap water:


We spent some time walking around to digest a bit and passed by Mozart's former apartment (though I don't have any good pictures of it.) We went right back to eating to try some Viennese dessert. Bryan got a very rich chocolate cake and I got a Viennese iced coffee, which was coffee, ice cream, and whipped cream:


So delicious! We headed back to catch our train to Prague, which I'm on right now (though this post probably won't be posted for quite a while). We passed Brno a little while ago and now we're passing through a very pretty mountainous region. I'll give an update after we've had a day exploring Prague!

No comments:

Post a Comment