Ramblings of a clueless American abroad

Monday, October 4, 2010

Failing

So, I wrote the following post earlier today, when I felt like it was the end of the world. I've since calmed down a lot, after it was explained to me that this happens every few months. And while it technically is due to something I did, it wasn't necessarily something I did *wrong*. Anyway, enjoy the melodrama!


I want to hide under a rock right now. It finally happened. That thing I've been dreading most since starting in my lab has finally happened: contamination. Half of the cell flasks are now ruined, probably negating a couple weeks of work. Since I'm the only one who actually works with the flasks and makes the solutions, it must have been something I did. No one knows exactly what, but for now I'm basically prohibited from touching anything. I pride myself on my lab abilities. My sterile technique has always been perfect: I've done microbiology, genetics, brain surgery- never had any problems. Now I've lost the respect of my labmates, and I don't even know what I did wrong. I spent a half hour hiding in the bathroom so no one would see how upset I am. Great way to start the week!

On a lighter note, it's been two whole months and things in general have been wonderful. I love the family I'm living with. They care for me like a daughter, but give me all the privacy and freedom I want. Plus, delicious free home-cooked meals every day. This weekend was mostly spent window shopping in my neighborhood and the hip Taksim area. I also participated in a free ebru (water marbling, as I mentioned in an earlier post) workshop, where I got to make my very own masterpiece:


As simple as it is, I'm really proud of it. I've never been an artistic person, so making something pretty is a big accomplishment for me.

Boyfriend will be here in less than a week! I'm ridiculously excited. Expect a dearth of posts during that time, then lots of interesting posts with pretty pictures afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. In the "big boy" jobs that I have had, usually after a month or so, the manager brings me into the office to tell me that something I am doing is completely wrong, yet I knew nothing about what I did wrong. This isn't the first time something like this will happen to you. Don't worry too much, your coworkers will get over it with time.

    On another note, did you hear about the travel advisory for Americans traveling to Europe?

    ReplyDelete